|Getting started in your new Virtual Classroom
||I want to change the text on the front page or any page
- Go the page you want to change.
- Click Site Actions(top right hand corner) - Edit Page
- Change the content in the Page Content area using the Word like toolbar for formatting. Using it is very similar to preparing a Word document.
- Click Publish button above Page Content area to ensure your new content is visible to all users of your room
I want to add a new page
- Go to your site and click Site Actions - Create Page
- Name your page and choose the layout you want - Welcome page with webpart zones is the most flexible (near the bottom of the list) - The system will create the url for your page based on the name you entered so make it short and meaningful
- Click Create
- You will be taken to your new page ready for you to Add Content
- Click Publish button on the page when you are ready for your users to view content, or, click Checkin to Share draft if you want to save your work but not show it to users on your website until you are finished creating it.
The security groups that will exist in your room:
Room Name Owners – you are the only member of this group and have full control to do anything you like
Room Name Members – add Teachers to this group that you want to be able to contribute to your site
Room Name Visitors – add people to this group so they can view your site
Room Name Students – add your students to this group to access your site.
The balance of articles below will assist you with Adding Links, Changing the Left Menu, Uploading Documents, adding Students to access your site etc.
|What is the difference between OneWeb and SharePoint?
- SharePoint is a Microsoft product like Word or Excel that is used to create things.
- OneWeb is the name of the project which was to merge all our existing SharePoint sites living on
- http://intranet and http://nciportal into one large SharePoint environment, and the name OneWeb has become a popular way to refer to the new collection of sites.
- OneWeb consists of our new Internet, new Intranet, and new myNCTAFE where your online classrooms live in Our Space; and The Depot where you can upload media and other files to share with your students or make publicly available.
|Changing the text on a page
- Watch a 2 minute video or print out a hand out or read on...
- Go to the page you want to change
- Click Site Actions in the top right corner of your page
- Click Edit Page
- Click in the Content Editor area of your page and change your content
- Click Publish button on the toolbar that appears above your Content Editor area to save and make your new content available to people that have permission to view your room.
- Note if you only want to save a draft so other Teachers/Contributors of your room can see the content to give you feedback, click Check in to Save Draft instead of Publish. Only people in your members group will then be able to see your draft version when they view the page. When you are ready to publish it to everyone make sure you go to the page and click Publish button
|Uploading a Document (Word, Excel, Powerpoint , images)
- Click on the heading of your Document Library/File Storage area eg Learning Resources or Picture Library, Images etc. All Libraries for storing Documents or Images work the same way
- Click Upload button
- Click the Browse button to locate the file on your computer and double click it to upload it to the Document Library.
- You will then be able to give it a title and click OK to save your new document in your Library.
|Connecting your Content to Outlook
- Click on the heading of the item you want to connect to Outlook eg Tasks List
- You will see a Toolbar that says New - Upload - Actions - Settings depending on what permissions you have
- Click the Actions button and click Connect to Outlook
- You will be prompted to say yes to approve the connection of the item. Click yes
- The item and all its files or records will now appear in your Outlook on the left hand side, near the bottom in the area called SharePoint Lists.
- You can create items, edit and delete items from Outlook using this SharePoint List area , rather than having to go to your site.
- If you do not see the Connect to Outlook link from the Actions menu, then the item type you are trying to connect to Outlook does not have that capability.
|Changing the left menu on your space
- If you do not have a Modify Left Menu already available on the left menu
- Click Site Actions
- Hover on Site Settings
- Click Modify Navigation
- Right at the top are two checkboxes that say Show Sites and Show Pages
- Click the Show Pages checkbox if, when you create a new page you want it to automatically put a link to it on the left menu; or
- Make sure it does not have a tick in it if you want to manage the left menu manually
- Scroll down in the Navigation page to the area that says Current Navigation refers to the links and the contents of the left menu on your space
- You can click Add Heading to add a Grouping on your menu, then click Add Link to add a hyperlink to another page;or
- click Add Link to add a link to another website eg Google or TAFENSW website etc
- Note: When you are finished setting up your left Nav scroll to the top or bottom and click the OK button to save your changes
|Open your Document Library/ storage space using Windows Explorer
- The File Storage area in your space is called a Document Library, but you can name it whatever you like.
- Click on your Document Library
- Click Actions then Open with Windows Explorer
- You will then see your Document Library and all its files open in a Windows Explorer window the same as you would if you went to your "My Computer" and browsed through the folders and files on your computer
- You can drag and drop, bulk copy and paste, delete and move files in the Document Library opened in Windows Explorer just like you can in a normal Windows Explorer window
- To get back to your Document Library easily next time you can
- Go Actions - Connect to Outlook but NOTE it will download offline copies of the files and may fill up your email box; O
- When you have your Document Library open in Windows Explorer click Favourites and Add to Favourites on the Windows Explorer toolbar
- Next time, just open your My Computer or Windows Explorer, click your Favourites and locate the Favourite you created and click on it.
- Your Document Library will open up just as if it was a folder on your computer or shared drive.
|Adding an Image
- Go to the page you want to add the image to and
- click Site Actions - Edit Page
- Click in the Content Editor area, and put your mouse where you want to add the image
- on the Editor toolbar you will see an image icon, click on it (if you hover over each of the icons on the toolbar a tooltip will appear which will show you what each of them do. The image icon is called Image Manager and is in the top row near the middle
- A small new window will appear and your folder list on your site will show up on the left
- double click on the folder where the image exists, or where you want to upload it to
- if it already exists click the image and click insert button at the bottom of the screen
- if the image doesnt exist in the folder yet, click Upload button which appears at the top of the popup window
- Click Browse and locate the image on your computer like you normally would
- Double click the image when you locate it and click Upload button
- Make sure the new image is highlighted and a small view of it is appear on the right and click Insert button
- The image will now display where your cursor was positioned on your page
- You can right click on the Image to change its size or properties; or
- click and hold on one of the corners of the image and drag it in and out to make it bigger and smaller, the same as you do in Word when resizing an image.
|Creating Student Security Group
- Create New Group
- Click Site Actions - Hover on Site Settings - Click People and Groups
- Click New on the toolbar, then New Group
- Name your Group . It should always contain the name of your room with the words Student Group at the end eg Nursing Taree Student Group
- You will be listed as the owner of the group which means you are the only one that can add/remove people from the group
- Scroll down and click the Read - Can View Only checkbox which will allow your students that you add to the Group to view your room, but not change anything
- Click Create Button
- Your New Group will appear and you will automatically be a member of that group. Remove yourself if you wish, but it doesnt really matter because you are already in the owners group, and the higher permissions always override the lower permissions.
|Add Students to your new Group or an existing Group
NOTE: When students or staff are accessing your room from home they will be prompted to login, unless your room has been made publicly available on the internet (which is possible if requested). They must login with their DET User ID with @DETNSW at the end for students and @det for staff eg fred.smith@det for staff or fred.jones@DETNSW for students.
- You should still be looking at the new Group which was just created for you - if you are not click Site Actions - hover on Site Settings - and click People and Groups and click on your Student Group name on the left hand side.
- Click New button
- A Users/Groups large text field will appear with two small icons on the bottom right hand corner.
- if you know each of your student's DET User IDs enter them in the text box with @detnsw at the end, eg sue.shelly@detnsw.
- Enter a semi colon between each student.
- Any student that shows up with a red squiggly line under it when you try to move to the next field, means their account does not exist, or there is more than one account. You need to click on their name with the red line under it and it will give you a list of other names available which match what you entered.
- if you do not know your student's DET User IDs click the address book icon in the bottom right hand corner of the text box and a new window will appear which looks similar to the GAL/Address Book in Outlook
- Type in your students surname or also type in a comma then space then part of their first name and click the magnifying glass to find them
- NOTE - If your student has a number on the end of their DET User ID you will need to enter it with their surname if you enter surname, first name, OR just enter surname and no comma and no first name and it will find those with numbers after their name
- The easiest way to enter your students is to log into EMU through the DET Portal and go to User Management and search for your Campus and Teaching section. You can then download the whole list of students in Excel format which gives you their DET User IDs. Enter those DET User IDs with semi colons in between and you will add your correct students. If you do not know what EMU is please contact the Service Desk who will explain how to get there and ensure you have access. Click here for EMU QRG which is also available by searching for EMU on our Intranet front page search box.
- be careful with spelling and just enter five or so letters of their surname if it is unusual. If it is smith then enter smith comma space and part of their first name to limit the results returned.
- click the search icon and scroll through the list of results returned and click on the account which you believe is your student
- scroll to the RIGHT and make sure the account you selected has DETNSW\ in front of it. This indicates it is a student and not staff account
- Double click the student name which will add them to the Add text field at the bottom of the Address Book window.
- You can then repeat the search for another student by just changing the surname in the search box at the top and searching again, or click OK to add that student only.
- Make sure the group you want to add them to is chosen in the drop down list. It should already be showing your student group you created. Do not change it and do not click the Radio button to Give user permissions directly. All staff and students should be put in a Group, not in as individuals
- Scroll to the bottom.
- If you want to send your students an email from your room, leave the checkbox ticked that says "Send welcome email to the new users" and type your personal message in the text field.
- If you dont want to send an email from the system to your students which provides them with a link to your room , take the tick out of the Send welcome email checkbox.
- click OK to add your students
|Adding Staff to edit your Room
||Follow the same instructions above except ensure when you go to the People and Groups area that:
- Click on the Members group on the left hand list for your site
- Follow the balance of instructions above to locate/add your staff
- Scroll to the right when you locate them in the Address book and ensure they have NORTH_COAST\ in front of their name before double clicking them to add them to the Group.
- Scroll to the bottom and click OK
- Being a member of the Members group gives people contribute/editor rights to your whole room.
|Adding Web Links
- If you have a Web Links area on your front page of your site
- Click Add New item link at the bottom of your Web Links area
- Fill in the three fields which are url, description (this shows up as the heading people click on to go to your new link), and notes
- Click OK to create your new weblink
- If you dont have a Web Links area already in your room you need to create a new one.
- Click View All Site content on the right menu
- Click Create, then click Links
- Name your new Links list and click OK
- Your new Links list will appear in your left menu
- Click on the new Links List on the left menu and click New to add a new Link to the list
- Repeat for any other web links you would like to add
- Go to the content type you want to add an Alert to eg Document Library, Tasks, Links list, Announcements etc
- Click on the heading of the Content type so you can see the Full toolbar
- click Actions - Alert Me
- Set the Alerts to when you want to receive them
- click OK
|Turn versioning on for your Document Library
- Go to your Document Library (or any other Library type)
- Click Settings - Modify Library Settings
- Click Versioning item on the left hand side
- Set the versions
- Please try not to set it to keep more than 5 versions as it will take up a lot of space on your room, and the server
- click OK to save the new version settings
- Note: Versionining is not set to on by default so must be turned on if you want to use versioning
- To access previous versions of files
- Go to the Document Library and click on the heading so you can see the full toolbar which has New/Upload/ Actions/Settings
- Hover over the document and you will see an orange colour appear with a triangle drop down
- click the drop down and choose version history
- from here you can view previous versions, delete previous versions and restore previous versions
- This functionality is not available unless you have first turned versioning on
|Changing Permissions on a Library, folder or file
- Go to the Library you want to change permissions for
- Click on the heading of the Library so you see the full toolbar
- click Settings - Library Settings
- Click Permissions for this Library
- Click Actions - Edit Permissions - click OK to confirm the request
- change the permissions by eg ticking the checkbox for your student group
- click Actions - Edit User Permissions
- now you can change the student group from read to contribute or another level as you choose
- click OK
- These steps apply at Library level, or hover over a folder or individual File in a Library and choose Permissions to change the permissions following these same steps
|Embedding an external video into your site
- Go to the page that you want to add the video too and click Site Actions - Edit page
- Locate the Insert Source button on the Page Content toolbar
- paste the code in and click OK
- the video should now show if the correct embed code was copied from the external site.
- if you have an existing video on your site, click the <> HTML button at the bottom of the page content area and look at the code where the video is inserted so you are familiar with what it should look like.
- there is also specific articles on this topic in the OneWeb User Guide link on the top right of this page
From the Our Space link on the left of the top navigation is a link to
- OneWeb User guide which is a Guide showing step by step instructions on doing everything from creating a new page to adding documents to a document library
- Instructional Demo Videos which are short 2 to 5 minute videos you can watch on various topics on managing your content in your room. More videos are created regularly so check back frequently
Refer to these instructions regularly. All these guides are being merged into one simple guide so check back to the links from the Our Space drop down regularly to ensure you are viewing the most recent version of the User Guide. If you have any questions that these guides cannot answer please email @nci oneweb and we will respond to your question and assist you asap.